Sometimes you want to link or embed a YouTube video to start from somewhere other than the beginning of the video. This can be done very easily by adding a tiny string of text into the original URL of the YouTube video.
1. Clicke on “Share” from the the YouTube video
2. Select the check box for “start at”
3. Enter a time value in the text box next to it. Your link to share with others will be to the left of the “Start at” checkbox.
Alternative: You can also append the string
#t=xmys to the end of any YouTube URL. x represents the number of minutes and y represents the number of seconds. For example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ19P29LQ18#t=2m2s will start at 2 minutes and 2 seconds into the video.
How to Embed a YouTube Video from a Specific Starting Time
The steps to embed a YouTube video from a specific time are slightly different than the steps from above. It actually took me a while to find the correct way to do this.
1. Click on Share>Embed from any YouTube video.
2. Add the start string paremeter at the end of url in the embed code. The value of the
start parameter should be the start time in seconds. The string should look like &start=400 (where 400 is the number of seconds where I want the video to start).
Embed Code before entering Start string: <iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/WZ19P29LQ18?rel=0″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
Embed Code after entering Start string: <iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/WZ19P29LQ18?rel=0&start=240″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
This is what the embed will look like using the code above.